I’m so sorry I haven’t posted in some time. I will give an update below. I hope you are all doing well. I miss interacting with many of you. I will be sure to check in on other blogs! Today, my focus is on International Men’s Day! I’m back collaborating with some bloggers who inspire me to be my best self.
Collaboration with a Purpose chose to post on International Men’s Day. We did a post in March for International Women’s Day, so it’s time to give men some love.
Where did International Men’s Day come from? It was started on 11-19-99 by Dr. Jerome Teelucksingh, history lecturer at the University of the West Indies in Trinidad Tabago. International Men’s Day focuses on men’s and boy’s health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models. Moreover, it’s a day to celebrate their men’s positive achievements and contributions to communities, at work, friendships, families, marriages, and child care.
In this blog post, I chose to focus on being a father. According to the 2017 U.S. Census Bureau, out of approximately 12 million single-parent families with children under the age of 18, more than 80% were raised by single mothers. The role of a father is crucial, and I know plenty of amazing fathers. Children benefit from the presence of a father or father figure. Here is a short poem I wrote on the fatherhood. Although it’s impossible to sum up a father in a single poem, hopefully, I provided a glimpse into fatherhood.
A Father by Ipuna Black
Though I may not have all the riches in the world,
You will always have my word.
When your frail limbs feel too heavy to stand,
I will carry and protect you with every beat of my heart–
Never with an iron fist.
Call the slightest whisper of my name,
I promise to listen.
But still each day,
I strive to do better and better.
Look at my soul.
Whatever I may be,
You will know all of me.
A Few Quotes I Love from Men
On International Women’s Day, I provided quotes from influential women. Here are some quotes I love from men.
I participated in the Pitch Wars mentoring program. It was an AMAZING experience. I have made friends I hope to keep forever. They help me learn and grow. Revising a mansucript is NO joke! It’s so much work, but it is definitely rewarding and exciting uncovering your fossil of a book. I participated in #DVPit Twitter Pitch event in October. I’m happy with the results of the event. Now, I just wait for some answers. Stay tuned!
Collaboration with a Purpose
Here is the list of the other collaborators. Please stop by their blogs.
- Barb Caffrey @ Barb Caffrey’s Blog (“So, if you believe in any sort of Higher Power, one of the things you need to remember is to forgive yourself once in a while.”) Let’s Talk about Men
- Jane Love @ Harmonious Joy (“People who have a genuine say and a true voice of their own… not just an echo of some celebrity they think they love.”) A Real Man *Cover Photo by Jane
- Mylene C. Orillo (“Where I’m at right now is a testament that ‘Dreams really do come true.’”) A Tribute to all the Men in my Life
- Sadaf Siddiqi (“The best thing about memories, is one doesn’t realize they are making memories but once recorded, it just rewinds and takes one back to the beautiful series of life.”) (post coming later)
- Swati Kadam (“We provide an essence of little bit of sense, that we all left behind and forgot to recollect.”)