Jy and I just returned from Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. We had a neuropsychological evaluation completed. It was an amazing experience. I’ve been a nurse for sixteen years (I’m getting old 😮.), and Primary Children’s Hospital is a model hospital of how healthcare should be. It is not always the big things that make a difference in one’s healthcare. Often, it is the little things that matter most in obtaining a positive experience in healthcare. And just like every big decision in life, you have every right to be picky until you get the best experience for your health or the health of a loved one.
3 Aspects in Obtaining a Positive Experience in Healthcare
Over 10,000 people were surveyed in Sweden regarding positive experiences with healthcare. The study found that there were three aspects of obtaining a positive experience in healthcare.
- Competence: Is every Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Advanced Practice Nurse (APN), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) the same? They all obtained about the same numbers of years of education, right? Yes, each healthcare professional has received about the same number of years of education for the respective disciplines, but the experiences will vary depending on where the healthcare providers are trained. Healthcare providers will be more competent in health issues that they have encountered often. It is important to know what types of clients the healthcare provider treats the most. Healthcare treatment options are not an exact science, so you want to pick a provider who has had extensive experience with a particular illness.
- Personal Attention: If you have seen a healthcare provider on a regular basis and he/she can’t remember you, this is not a good sign. There isn’t a one size fits all style of parenting, or every child would turn out perfect! Healthcare is the same way. You are an individual with family, beliefs, responsibilities, etc., and your healthcare treatment should fit you as a whole. This individualized treatment begins with a healthcare provider knowing you and your individual needs.
- Confidence and Trust: This boils down to trusting your gut. One healthcare provider may be a perfect fit for one person and a horrible fit for another. Pick a healthcare provider you have confidence in. You don’t want a healthcare provider you are always doubting. You want to have trust in the recommendations the healthcare provider gives you. If you do not have trust, you should find another healthcare provider.
Jy’s Experience at Primary Children’s Hospital
Jy had an unusual case of encephalitis and paralysis (Guillain-Barre Syndrome). He wasn’t a classic case of anything, so his main differential diagnosis was Bickerstaff Brainstem Encephalitis. Regardless of the big words, Jy was in a coma state for three weeks and quadrapalegic. The healthcare providers didn’t have much experience with this in Las Vegas. He was flown into Primary Children’s Hospital and admitted to the Neuro Trauma Unit. The care was very specific for his encephalopathy state and paralysis. Here are some specific reasons why I felt that Primary Children’s Hospital is a model hospital.
- Combined homeopathetic (massage, oils, music therapy, etc) and traditional treatments (PT, OT, medications)
- There is a fun place for siblings to hang out (the little things that matter!)
- There is a play room for the patients (gets them out of their rooms and feeling more like home)
- The Ronald McDonald room is amazing for parents who come from out of town or who stay at the hospital most of the time. Meals can get expensive. Many people donate meals for families. It is a small gesture that means a lot. Additionally, the families can interact with other family members who maybe experiencing similar situations.
Healthcare Provider Checklist
Here is a Health Care Provider Checklist I created that can help you find a great fit. I initially created it for finding a good pediatric provider, but most of the questions apply for all healthcare providers.
Be Picky. You Deserve a Positive Experience with Healthcare
Insurance companies are selecting providers more and more based on customer satisfaction surveys. Health is worth more than almost anything on this earth. Therefore, it is okay to be picky. You deserve to be healthy and this includes having a positive experience with healthcare.
Sorry that I haven’t been as present on Worpress. I promise to answer comments and explore other blogs soon. I’ve been busy traveling to Primary Children’s Hospital. I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer! Thanks for reading! I hope you found this post helpful! ❤️
Join my mailing list for Positive Information on Being Your Best Self and Updates
Let’s connect ❤️:
Join my private positive FB group page. I’m hoping to connect with other positive/motivational/inspirational bloggers. We can collaborate and share our blog posts: Your Best Self.