How much can you endure before you crack? Survival of the fittest goes back to the scientist, Charles Darwin. His theory of evolution by natural selection indicates that species which can adapt to their environment are more likely to survive over species which can’t. There are limited resources available in an environment, which promotes competition amongst organisms of the same or different species, creating a struggle to survive.
I thought about this survival of the fittest concept when I was in the mountains last weekend. As I was driving up a mountain, I came across a stretch of land that had been destroyed by a fire. What intrigued me about the scenery was that there were vast areas of burned trees, but amongst the trees were bright green, tall, and bold trees full of life. These trees must’ve laughed at the fire and said, “You ain’t gettin’ me!” How did these trees survive when all the rest around them died? Survival of the fittest. It had to be. When a fire threatens to bring you down, how much can you take before you crack, ignite, and light up in flames until there is nothing left of you?
Katniss Everdeen- Hunger Games
I couldn’t help but think of the book, Hunger Games, as I thought about survival of the fittest. Isn’t that what the Hunger Games were about? Fight to the death, and the fittest will survive. I’m not talking about just physical fitness. One needs more tools than that to endure during tough times.
Tools the Fittest Possess
- Grit. The deadly combination of persistence and passion. Can you stand tall despite the fire all around you?
- Mental strength. Are you taking the time to slow down? (I’m terrible about this.) Meditating or relaxing the mind? Feeding your mind positive information to help you with answers during tough times? Can you push past the negative energy as the fire gets closer?
- Physical strength. Physical strength helps you to react quicker, feel better, and have a decreased risk of other health complications. If I fire is coming your way, can you escape it, or can you physically bear through it?
- Wit. When the Gamemakers in Hunger Games threw more at Katniss, she had the wits to fight back. Can you catch danger coming at you and come up with a plan before it destroys you?
- Adaptable. Life is never going to go just like we planned it. How will you react to the changes? I promise you that fire/adversity will come your way. Can you use your wit to see the positive in the situation or make a change for the better, even under the worse circumstance? Hard to do.
Let me know your thoughts on survival of the fittest. Kudos to those trees that were able to survive the horrible fire. I hope to stand tall when adversity/fire comes my way. I have in the past. It’s not easy, but it’s possible. It takes constant work on my tools.
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and a fantastic week ahead! Happy Monday! Stay cool. It’s hot in Vegas!
I may be slow responding back to comments. I’m taking Jy to Primary Children’s Hospital for a neuro-psych eval. That should be interesting.
Join my mailing list for Positive Information on Being Your Best Self and Updates
Let’s connect ❤️:
Join my private positive FB group page. I’m hoping to connect with other positive/motivational/inspirational bloggers. We can collaborate and share our blog posts: Your Best Self.