One of the biggest goals that all us humans share is that we want to be happy. We want to smile, laugh, and feel stress-free. Many things can bring you happiness. Here are just five simple tips of things that can make you happy.
5 Things to Make You Happy
- Gratitude. One definition of gratitude is “readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.” When we have appreciation in our hearts for even the little things in life, we can’t help but be happy. Dr. Emmons and Dr. McCullough conducted a study that consisted of three groups. Each group wrote for 10 weeks. Group 1 wrote about things they were grateful for during. Group 2 wrote about daily irritations or things that made them upset. Group 3 wrote about events that had affected them (with no focus on being positive or negative). At the end of the study, those who wrote about gratitude were more optimistic and felt better about their lives. (We don’t need research to know this is true, but it’s wonderful when it supports what we already know.) Additionally, Group 1 exercised more and had fewer visits to physicians than those who focused on sources of negativity.
- Spend time with your loved ones. It is important to be ambitious and have high goals. I’m all for it, but please remember to find that balance with your loved ones. Before you know it, everyone grows up and/or grows apart. I try to read to my kids at night, but life gets busy. I was pretty bad when I was in my PhD program. As many of you know that my son, Jy, was hospitalized at the end of 2015 with encephalitis and Guillain-Barre Syndrome. He was so happy to be allowed to go outside to a place called the Healing Gardens at St Rose Hospital Siena campus. I made up a silly story about him flying to the moon in his wheelchair. You can see the video below. Jy’s hospitalization helped me to realize how fast time goes. Every second with your loved ones matters.
- Spiritual. Whatever religion you associate yourself with, there’s a reason. You feel happiness when you are on a spiritual “high.” Outside of religion, spiritual is defined as “relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.” When you take care of your mind and core through meditation or feeding it positive thoughts, you feel happy.
- Enjoy nature, exercise, take care of yourself physically and mentally. Okay. I cheated here. That was way more than one tip. Oh well. I didn’t want to create more bullet points. 😳 We get busy with work, life, school, etc. Often, we forget to take care of #1 = us! Take time out to take care of yourself and enjoy nature. A study conducted by the University of Derby and The Wildlife Trusts found that there was a scientifically significant increase in people’s health, happiness, connection to nature and active nature behaviours.
- Forgive. As I had mentioned previously, forgiveness is associated with decreased stress levels. When you are experiencing less stress, you have room to be happy. You are really just hurting yourself when you are holding on to ill feelings. It’s a burden you carry. Let it go. ❄️ (Yep, that’s a snowflake.)
What about you?
Do you have any “go to” tips and tricks for happiness in your life?
Sunshine Blogger Award
Because this is an article on sunshine and happiness, I’m throwing in my blogger award. The funny and cute Nicolle nominated me. Thank you! You rock! ❤️
Edited 6-22-17 The lovely, Cherylene, nominated me as well. She blogs at LivingvsExisting. She is positive and a determined person. Love it. Please visit her space.
Here were her questions!
- Describe yourself in three words! Spunky, Determined, Compassionate
- What is your favourite colour? Red of course! ❤️
- What is your favourite season? Fall
- What is your favourite board game? Any ones that I can win!
- What is your favourite mythical creature? Mr. Tumnus the Fawn in Willy Wonka. I love Oopa Loopas too. Is that a mythical creature? Maybe not, but they are so cute!
- What music instruments have you learned to play? Clarinet and piano
- What do you do on a rainy day? Read of course or play in the rain because I live in Vegas, so we don’t get it much.
- Cake or ice cream? (Or both!) Ice cream. Mochi and/or macaron (not sure how to categorize this, but yummy!)
- Tea or coffee? With or without milk? Chai tea with milk and no water. Hot.
- What is the fun thing you want to do most now? I love going to the beach! I have to drive to California for that, but it is worth it!
- What would your dream home be like? I would like an office in my home, and I like green (not easy to find in Vegas).
My questions to the nominees
- Do you prefer to spell the roses or grow them? (I like roses but not growing them. I don’t grow much of anything. No green thumb.)
- Are you the adventurous type or more reserved? (reserved, but I like nature type stuff)
- Do you prefer cake as a dessert or ice cream? (mochi ice-cream)
- Do you prefer to drive or be driven? (be driven)
- Where is your ideal vacation spot? (Anywhere with water and beautiful nature)
- Can you cook? (no way 😕)
- What is your favourite dish to prepare? (baking anything is better for me)
- Who is the most supportive person you know? (my hubby)
- Who is you favourite singer? (Josh Groban, but I actually really like Justin Bieber too)
- When you think of blogging list one word to describe the feeling it gives you. (love)
- Do you pamper yourself as much as you like? (no 😕)
I nominate anyone who wants to play! You can answer the same questions Nicolle gave me. I’m a cheater. 😳 Ok. I’m too lazy to create new questions. You got me. 😝 I will definitaly read your answers if you play. Please tag me to alert me over to your website.
Have a sunny, bright, wonderful, and HAPPY weekend! ☀️ ☀️ ☀️
Join my mailing list for Positive Information on Being Your Best Self and Updates
Join my private positive FB group page: Your Best Self.
Let’s connect ❤️: