Do you live with regret?
I once had someone ask me if I regretted anything in my past. My initial response was to list everything that I thought had gone wrong in my life. After digesting the question, I realized that I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it wasn’t for my past. Therefore, I don’t regret my past. Instead, I learn from it and create my future. Here are 5 tips on leaving regret behind and creating your future.
5 Tips to Leave Regret Behind and Create Your Future
- Learn from your past. The worst thing you could do is be that hamster on a wheel spinning over and over again in a world of misery based on your choices. With every situation we encounter, we are faced with a choice. We don’t always make the right choice. We are human after all. Learn from your poor choices and make better choices in the future. Don’t keep repeating the same mistakes because guess what? You will end up down the same path. And you will continue to walk down the path of regret. Make an about-face and choose a different path that will lead you to happiness.
- Acknowledge how far you’ve come. Don’t beat yourself up. That’s wasted energy. We take action based on how we feel. Giving yourself credit for the little successes in life (getting dressed in the morning, applying for a job, feeding your kids, smiling at someone) carries a large amount of weight. This is positive energy that uplifts us. The day doesn’t seem so dreary. If we are feeling positive about our little steps, we can take bigger steps.
- Acknowledge the blessings you have in your life now. It’s easy to focus on all the “have nots” or missed opportunities. Trust me. There are plenty of other opportunities if you choose to pursue them. Be grateful for what you have. There will always be others who have more and less. If we are content with what we already have, this allows us to not have this anxious feeling of being without. With a positive feeling, we can take the steps toward more.
- Look forward not backward. Learn from your past but don’t live in the past. Spend your energy in the now and planning your future. Denzel Washington gave an inspirational speech at Penn’s graduation on Fall Forward. The YouTube synopsis is worth 4 minutes.
- Remember, life isn’t over. Set goals for your future. So things happened in your past that you aren’t thrilled with. Be sad. Cry. Do whatever you have to do to deal with it. I was a single mother at 21 years old at the end of my Bachelor’s degree program. I was upset at myself for being in that situation. I would look around and see other families, and it was difficult doing everything with my son alone. I cried. I was sad. I felt empty. Guess what? That part of my life did not stop me. My son needed my positive energy. I needed to look forward. And I did. I set goals so that I could financially support him and made decisions to create my future. You can do the same. Live your life! Your past doesn’t have to define you. Regret is negative energy. Shove it aside. Hang on to hope. Hope is a nicer friend.
Thanks for reading. Please let me know any of your experiences you have had with regret.
(Picture above is from Sunset Park in Las Vegas, NV.)
Join my mailing list for Positive Information on Being Your Best Self and Updates
Join my private FB group page: Your Best Self.
Let’s connect ❤️: